Artifact Bag

    I created a project on the Mendez VS. Westminster case for my artifact bag. This case was the starting point for desegregating schools.

    When she was told she could not go to school with White Americans, Sylvia Mendez was a young girl. They were told it was because they would be “better” at the Mexican school. 

    Mendez’s father felt that this was not right, considering his daughter was born in America, so he created a petition with other Mexican parents stating how these children were told they could not go to these schools. After so many parents signed the petition, a court case was started. Skipping to the end, the parents won the issue, saying that schools in California could not deny children the right to an education no matter their ethnicity or race. 
  
    For my artifact, I put the book Separate is Never Equal: Sylvia Mendez and Her Family’s Fight for Desegregation by Duncan Tonatiuh. I also put a link to the book being read in the project. This book is a better overview of the Mendez VS. Westminster case than I could provide, and that is why I chose it as the book for this project.

    This book goes with the New York state standard I chose, 5C. This standard allows students to look at a minimum of one group of people struggling with and fighting for equality and civil rights. 

    The four artifacts I chose were the petition the parents filled out, a picture of a group of Mexican and Mexican American students after denying them the right to go to school with white Americans, and a newspaper article after the Mendez’s won the case. The final artifact was a picture of African Americans protesting for their children's right to go to school with white Americans in the south, and this case was the starting point for all this because it made people feel like they would be heard and to which they were. 

    After the artifacts are two links to two different articles. One is Sylvia being interviewed 70 years after the case and how she feels. The other one is about who Sylvia Mendez is. 
Finally, I included a quizziz with 3 multiple-choice and one open-ended question. 

    I enjoyed this project. I feel that this is something I could incorporate in my own classroom, that students can work in groups to do. Of course, I may choose the book for each group depending on the grade, but it allows students to improve their positive interdependence skills if they assign jobs for the project.



Link to Artifact Bag: 

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/15w5wRot85fEtq5o5L9f3-whYcsJOcJxJ4padkVKzJMQ/edit?usp=sharing 
 

 

Comments