Geography Treasure Hunt

HUG THE EARTH

Walking along feeling free 
Feeling the Earth here with me 
And I love her. She loves me 
I hug the Earth, the Earth hugs me. 
She's our friend, 
We'd like to be together forever. 
The Earth is our garden 
It's a beautiful place 
For all living creatures 
For all the human race, 
Helping Mother Earth 
We can peacefully roam, 
We all deserve a place 
We can call our home. 
Food is a treasure from soil and the sea. 
Clean fresh air from the plants and the trees 
The warmth of the sun giving life each day 
Turns water into rain, it’s nature's way. 
And I would like to thank you, Mother Earth, 
I like to see you dressed in green and blue  
I want to be by you.
Lorraine Bayes

     This poem can be used in the classroom to talk about the earth and how it should be treated. I feel that this poem could be incorporated into the classroom on more occasions than on earth day. One way could be to introduce a science unit about the environment using this poem and then let students do research on pollution. After that, the students could compare what the poem says to what research they have learned. To make the lessons more engaging, see if you could try and create an activity that would take place outside. Some examples could be planting trees with students or picking up trash outside on the school property. 


                                                                

Comments